Do you use load cells to measure weight? Do you use a mobile or fixed tank that has liquid in it?
Advantages of the Digital Capacitive System:
- Very robust and can handle abuse that others cannot
- It makes for a much “cleaner”, simple installation as compared to others that need devices around the cell to protect it from being damaged
- It’s easy to install
Digital Capacitive and Strain Gage Load Cell Technologies Compared
Capacitive and strain gage load cells both rely on an elastic element which is deformed by the load to be measured. The material used for the elastic element is normally aluminum for low cost load cells and stainless steel for load cells used in corrosive industrial applications.
Both a capacitive and a strain gage sensor measure the deformation of the elastic element and the output of the sensor is converted by an electronic circuit to a signal which represents the Load.
Furthermore, a capacitive sensor is very sensitive with a change of capacitance of 10% while the foil strain gage normally only has a change of resistance of 0.1%. Because of the much higher sensitivity of a capacitive sensor, a much lower deformation of the elastic element is needed and the elastic element of a capacitive load cell is therefore strained around 5 to 10 times lower than the elastic element of a strain gage load cell.
“The low strained element combined with the fact that a capacitive sensor is non-contacting, provides the very high shock resistance and overload capability of the capacitive load cell compared to the strain gage load cell.”
Cabling and Sealing
The high change of capacitance lends itself to provide a digital output signal which in the Alfa Laval capacitive load cells is a high speed signal, representing the load directly in g, kg or Newton. A low cost coaxial cable with a one wire hermetically sealed connector supplies the load cell with power and transmits the high speed digital signal back to the instrumentation which may be placed several hundred meters away.
In a standard analog strain gage load cell, the power supply and the low level analog signal are normally conducted through a rather expensive 6 wire cable to the instrumentation where the analog signal is converted to a digital signal. In a digital strain gage load cell, an amplifier and also the A/D conversion are placed in the housing and the power supply and the digital signals are normally conducted through a rather expensive 6 or 7 wire cable to the instrumentation. With the 6 or 7 wire cables used in strain gage load cells it is difficult to obtain the necessary IP68 protection for industrial environments without complicated water traps or expensive multi pole hermetic feed through connections.
In contrast to this, is the uncomplicated IP69K single pole connector used in the Alfa Laval capacitive load cells which furthermore has the logistically important advantage that the cable may be mounted just before delivery with length and PVC/Teflon type according to customer Specifications.
- The Alfa Laval capacitive load cell provides a tolerance to shock and overloads of up to 10 times nominal load compared to the 2 times nominal load for strain gage load cells. This is an obvious advantage in industrial environments and especially for the lower capacity load cells where the risk of damage because of shocks and overloads is high.
- The Alfa Laval capacitive load cell provides a tolerance to side loads and eccentric loads of up to 10 times higher than for strain gage load cells
- These features mean that expensive mounting kits with side load- and overload stops – which often cost as much as the load cell itself and need maintenance – are normally not needed with the Alfa Laval capacitive load cells which as a consequence offers a simple and inexpensive mechanical mounting in the application.
- The factory calibrated, digital high speed signal, conducted through the well shielded coaxial cable, provide simple plug and play installation and at the same time the EMC protection and the protection against welding voltages needed in industrial applications. The high speed signal, sent at 230 kBaud, with the load value in 24 bits and with address and diagnostic codes, is necessary for the 1000+ readings/second in dynamic weighing applications and for the very short update time of 2 mS necessary for four loads cells in platform and cargo weighing, mixing, dosing and hopper applications.
Please contact us today at 508-809-5099 or firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.